Thursday, December 6, 2007

Winter Wonder Land!

I never thought that New York in the winter time would be so beautiful. I think that I have found a new time to come up to the city and visit. Yes, fall is a great time to come as the leaves change and a pair of jeans and t-shirt feels great. Not too hot or cold.
Oh but does one miss out when it turns bitter cold! If you can brave the cold, then I suggest making a trip out to New York. Especially during the holiday season. The city feels like it completely changes. The lights go up, and the windows are all dressed up for the shopping season. Last Monday, I witnessed the lighting of the tree at the Lincoln Center and it was spectacular. Not as grand as the Rockefeller tree, but fantastic nonetheless. Short performances of what was playing at the Lincoln were performed on the terraces of the Lincoln Center buildings. I can say that I saw the Nutcracker at the Met. Okay, not the whole thing, but at least two dances from it. It was cool. After the lighting of the tree, the party moved to the Upper West Side where vendors were and music was playing until 9 that evening.
On the grander scale as I mentioned earlier, was the lighting of the Rockefeller tree at the Rockefeller Center. I'm sure that you all tuned in and watched it on the tube as I wish I had for the hoards of people that filled the center and the surrounding streets was almost impossible to deal with, but we managed to squeeze into a spot across from the center right in front of Saks 5th Ave. The locations was great. It was prime for watching the tree get lit, but that was about it. The show that you all saw on tv, I missed. I wouldn't have traded it in for anything. It was awesome to have said that I saw the lighting of the Rockefeller tree. In person, the tree was gigantic. I think it reached a height of 100 feet. So if those aren't reasons enough to come up and enjoy the city during this time, how about this one, Snow.
We had our first snow of the season this past Sunday. I woke up to streets and buildings covered in the white fluffy stuff that oh so much better than rain. After church, I decided to walk through Central Park and see the park in white. This was a winter wonderland. No cars passed through, all the streets were covered in snow. I couldn't believe that there were die-hard runners and bikers out exercising in the snow, but there were. All I can say is that it was beautiful. I posted one of my favorite pictures I've taken thus far while here, I hope you all like it. Once you see it, you'll know why it's one of my favorites.
So I have a little more than two weeks left in my semester. I can't believe how fast it has gone by. I have learned so much here. Not only about education, but about myself. I can't wait to share some amazing stories of what the Lord has allowed me to do here.
Anyway, so I remember this time as a teacher telling my students that it is time to finish strong as exams are right around the corner. Oh, how the tables have turned as I am on the receiving end of those comments that I am so used to saying to my student. Finish Strong Joey. Well, I intend to. I'll finish strong up until I get on the plane to come back home on the 20th.
May each one of you have a blessed and Merry Christmas this year. Thanks for staying up to date with my adventures here in the city.

No comments: