Monday, May 5, 2008

Drawing to a close

I am entering my final week of classes and I can't believe that my year is drawing to a close in a matter of days. Graduation is on the 20th and I once again get to don the cap and gown and walk across the stage to receive a diploma. Of the three times I've had to do this, I think I can say that this one may mean the most. I think I say that, because I feel like I actually am mature enough to understand the implications of my degree and the importance of learning. Don't get me wrong, nothing will ever top the experience I had at Carolina as those were definitely the best days of my life, but this year made me realize that I can achieve with the best in the nation in the independent school world. Everyday I walked into class thinking what I was doing here and whether I could handle being in a class full of brilliant people who I hold in high regard. At the end of the day come May 12th, I think that I will be able to say, yes I do and did belong at this school. Actually I'm sure of it.
I will never forget my experience here, as the experience has helped to further shape who I am as a person and especially as an educator. All along, I've known that education is where I was supposed to be and this year further confirmed that. There is something about impacting students that drives me to pursue this career. Education is a special field that all too often goes unrecognized by our society. I hope that in my life I'm able to help people recognize the importance of education and how important our jobs as educators is. If we take James (James 3:1) seriously, then we as educators have great responsibility in teaching because we are held to the highest standard and will judged more harshly. I hope and pray that more and more educators all over the nation can hold on to these words and do eveything they can to advance this great profession.
As I get ready to take my finals and turn in my last papers, I wanted to thank you all for keeping me in your thoughts and prayers. I can't wait to see everyone again. Okay, now it's back to writing more papers!! Peace and Love.--JLM

No comments: