Wednesday, May 21, 2008

It's done. I'm officially's a Master (of what, that's up in the air!!)


Well, it's done. My year in New York is over. Today I took part in the 254th Commencement of Columbia University and President Bollinger has granted me my degree. I can say that today is the day that I am officially in debt!!!
In all seriousness, I am deeply honored and humbled to have had an opportunity to get one of the best graduate educations in the country. I feel like I now have an immense responsibility to give back to my community and school for receiving such a degree.
I am saddened to be leaving the realm of constant intellectual stimulation and challenges. The growth I have had as a person and as an educator is unparalleled. I will miss the friends I have made as I will not see them on a day to day basis in class and outside of class and the myriad discussions I've had with them. At the same time though, I have a bond with them knowing that if I ever needed anything, both professionally and personally, they will be there for me.
I will also miss the city. I never thought I would utter those words, yet the city has grown on me. The city is great and living here trumped every stereotype I had of it going into this year.
I've been blessed with having the privilege of hearing Tim Keller at Redeemer Presbyterian. I visited every major museum, attended 13 Broadway shows, ate at some amazing restaurants, oh and studied my brains out!!
All in all, it was a great year to get re-energized for going back to work. It was much needed. I can't wait for Friday when I get in a truck and come back to the Tar Heel state to friends and family. Thanks to all who kept up with me through this blog. Your thoughts and prayers were felt everyday.

No comments: